Friday, January 27, 2012

Our New Menu Chart

Last weekend I had the urge to get crafty, and I knew exactly what I wanted to make. I've seen a lot of  menu charts on Pinterest lately and thought it was a fun and pretty way to plan out our menu for the week. For me, figuring out what we're going to have is the hardest part of cooking, and so far, this has made it much simpler! YAY!

There are lots of ways to make these, but the basic idea is to have your "go-to" menu items on slips of paper, along with some blank ones for new recipes and a simple Sunday-Monday chart to mix and match the papers on. Some are super complicated with main dish, sides, desserts, etc., but I knew I wouldn't keep up with that. It had to be super simple for me and it's usually just the main dish I have a hard time coming up with so I stuck with just that.

Anyway, I actually took pictures of the process for this in case someone else would like to make one of their own. Sorry for the poor lighting in the pictures, I was working late into the night. If you click on the picture, you can see the details better.

Step one: gather supplies.
I used Photo Shop and a digital scrap book kit I got from Just So Scrappy to make some clip art to use, but you could easily use any paper and stickers you may already have. The main part of my chart was the chipboard backing piece from one of Michelle's large art pads. I saved it a while ago knowing I would find a use for it someday. :o) I also had some 5x7 galvanized metal flashing pieces left from another craft project. You can find these at a hardware store. I pulled out a clipboard to add to the side for notes and/or grocery list, but ended up not using it since there wasn't room.
 Step Two: assemble
I used double-sided tape to adhere the flashing to the backing piece, then I used more tape to adhere cardstock over everything. You can see that I used some of my super skinny tape around the flashing and the wider stuff everywhere else. My backing is 12x18 so I had to use 2 12x12 pieces of cardstock cut to fit and pieced together.
 Here it is before the cardstock. The left side of my board is now magnetic!
 Then I played around with the arrangement of things before gluing anything down. Here I tried keeping the days of the week all together.
 Here I cut them out and played around with different layouts. I also used my Big Shot to cut out two small envelopes to hold my menu items.
 Here it is almost finished. I edged the whole thing with some ribbon, including the line where the two pieces of cardstock meet. I used glue dots to stick some buttons onto magnets to hold my menu items to each day's file. I hung a post-it pad sideways under the notes section (that's the only one I had on hand, and that's how it fit) to write down which cook book I may find a recipe in or if I have an idea for a new side dish or dessert that I'd like to try.
 Step three: hang up and use
Here it is hanging on the side of the fridge. I strung a ribbon between two eyelets to hang it from. I did find that the flashing made it slightly heavier on that side, so I'm using two hooks to help hang it evenly, and the magnetic pencil holder on the bottom helps to keep it straight as well. I printed three rows of clip art buttons down a sheet of paper and cut the paper into strips. I then wrote down most of the recipes that I make all the time (spaghetti, tacos, enchiladas, etc.) and have a bunch of empty ones to fill out as time goes by. Now, on Saturday, I simply take off last week's menu and pick out some new ones, using the button magnets to hold them on. It's also super simple to make changes in the middle of the week if need be.
So far, so good. I made this 2 weeks ago, and it has made dinner time much easier for me. I take a peek at it at night to see what meat needs to be taken out of the freezer or whether I need to get things into the crock pot first thing in the morning. I think having a list of things already written down makes it easier to make decisions. In fact, it's been so easy, I may try adding one new recipe a week to the rotation.

What do you think? I like that it's easy, organized, and looks nice too. I actually have been working on several other projects, but I'll have to post them some other time. It's getting late, and this mommy is tired.

Till next time...God's love and blessings!

No comments: